Welcome To The Adaptive Tactics Server (ATS)
For help with the ATS, see our wiki
If you think the ATS is useful, please consider making a small donation. Anything you give helps.
We also accept bitcoin donations.
If you can't contribute money or (basically) free bitcoin, please categorize some uncategorized problems. Categorizing problems helps to make the ATS a more useful service for everyone, and one person cannot do it alone.
Another way to help is to suggest areas for improvement on the ATS. Right now, I'm using google's Moderator (here). Take a look at the ideas and vote on good ones.
The Adaptive Tactics Server learns from the results of positions it presents you with. From your successes and failures against those positions, it gathers statistics that allow it to serve more problems (again statistically speaking) in categories you are weakest in.
To get started, you need to register.
Then you have to log in. Once you are logged in, follow the links to "solve problems" or whatever else strikes your fancy.
If you are a new user, you'll want to either solve problems or view problems and solutions. As you gain experience with the site, you'll be able to take on additional responsibilities if you want to, like sharing problems of your own with us, categorizing problems, and approving problems.
3805 problems currently in rotation.
- Users who have solved more than 100 problems may now approve problems from the list of those queued for approval. Having solved 100 problems, you probably have a good idea of what is appropriate for the site. Bear in mind that not everyone is at the same level you are, and what an experienced player may find useless, a beginner may find instructive. Also realize that voting on problems is another method of rejection that will over time weed out the problems our community doesn't like.
- Removing bad problems/revising problem set according to Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down votes, and getting rid of silly problems brought us back under 3000 problems. Not to fear, we still have a ton of problems that have not yet been added to the rotation because nobody will categorize them.
- I'm accepting bitcoin donations. You can generate your own cash to donate to me.
- Minor improvements to approval form (invisible change to ordinary users).
- Changed Instructional Value voting to binary. Kill it or keep it. If you think the problem is worth serving again, keep it. If you think the problem is not worth serving again, kill it. Problems with low scores will be killed.
- At some point recently, passed 3000 problems in rotation. Some of those are in "Chess Vision" as I'm putting problems that meet certain criteria there.
- We now have close to a thousand problems that are not tagged with motifs. Until we catch up on those, there won't be any more new problems added. At the moment, there are over 300 more new problems waiting to be approved for addition to the rotation, but "Unclassified" defeats the purpose of the ATS. If you want more new problems, classify some of those that are unclassified.
- Haven't made any progress on the system in the last 2 months, mostly because my hands started hurting me again (I remembered why I don't do this professionally anymore). I may start making some small improvements soon.
- Revised user preferences page for better usability.
- Added a switch for viewing the rating when solving problems.
- Added 12 problems (now 2594)
- 2010-04-12 Added 104 problems (now 2582) over the last 4 days.
- Added 44 problems (now 2478)
- Installed OSTicket Support Center for feedback/bug tracking.
- 2010-04-06 Added 64 problems (now 2434)
- Added 81 Problems (now 2370)
- Fixed a bug in the user settings relating to website behavior when a user got a problem wrong. Now users can either keep going, land on their statistics page, or land on the problem's solution page.
- Added 20 problems (now 2289)
- Multiple bugfixes and user experience enhancements.
- Minor bugfixes
- Added 32 new problems (now 2269)
- 2010-03-30 Added 81 new problems (now 2237)
- 2010-03-27 Minor user experience improvements.
- Completed migration from /ats subdirectory and removed wordpress authentication tangle. Also made it so that people could register without giving an email address, although they'll probably want one when they forget their password. If you notice any wonkiness, email me at bulldoggy]at[snufflenose].[calm].
- In "ATS Settings" allow landing page different from problem solution when "Break on Fail" is set to "Yes"
- 2010-03-21 Fixed vote decrementing in problem tagging.
- Added switch in settings for three strikes when solving a problem. If the setting is "Yes", you get three attempts at a problem. If the setting is "No", you do not.
- Identified and fixed a bug which was messing the evaluations of newly added problems.
- Broke 2000 problems! (2093) Make sure you rate the problems for instructional value! We want to get rid of the bad ones as fast as we can.
- 2010-03-19 Increased the width of the navigation and content areas in the ATS. Maybe it is a little nicer to look at now.
- 2010-03-18 Squished bugs in automated problem discovery stuff. Uploaded about 150 new problems that need to be looked at before entering rotation. About 80 are left in queue, but I'm too tired to think about looking at any more.